REMINDER - If public schools are closed for inclement weather, JAM classes are cancelled.
Come JAM with us!
Caldwell JAM (Junior Appalachian Musicians) is an Arts Council program that teaches students to sing and play by ear in the ole-time Appalachian tradition. Held after school at four locations in the county, students can choose to learn guitar, fiddle, and mandolin. Classes are held hourly as after-school programs, and students are not required to attend public school to enroll. We also offer a 10-week Summer JAM camp at The HUB Station Arts Center in Hudson.
Classes are not held on early release days, school holidays, or when school is closed due to inclement weather. The 2023-2024 schedule is as follows:
- Mondays @ Granite Falls Elementary School - beginner guitar classes are held immediately after school.
- Tuesdays @ Happy Valley K-8 School - beginner guitar classes are held immediately after school.
- Wednesdays @ The HUB Station Arts Center - beginner fiddle, guitar & mandolin classes start at 4pm.
- Thursdays @ The HUB Station Arts Center - Intermediate fiddle, guitar & mandolin classes start at 4pm.
- Thursdays @ The HUB Station Arts Center - JAM Performance class starts at 5pm.
- Thursdays @ Collettsville K-8 School - beginner guitar classes held immediately after school.
JAM students who need instruments may rent one from the Caldwell Arts Council for $15 for the entire school year. Also students who are enrolled in public school are charged tuition based on their school lunch arrangement, and scholarships may be available. In addition, discounts are available for sibilings and students taking multiple classes. Payments can be made for the entire year or in installments as follows:
- Students who do not receive discounted or free lunch are charged $10/class or $300/year payable in 2 installments of $150 each
- Reduced-lunch students are charged $5/class or $150/year payable in 2 installments of $75 each
- Free-lunch students are charged $3/class or $90/year, payable in 2 installments of $45 each