REMINDER - If public schools are closed for inclement weather, JAM classes are cancelled.
Come JAM with us!
Caldwell JAM (Junior Appalachian Musicians) is a program that offers classes for school students from 8 to 17 years of age. Held after school for approximately one hour a week throughout the school year, students learn old-time music in the traditional Appalachian style of singing and playing by ear. Instrument choices are old-time guitar, fiddle, and mandolin. School-year JAM is held at four locations in Caldwell County. We also offer a Summer JAM program with classes running for 10 weeks at The HUB Station Arts Center in Hudson.
Classes are not held on early release days, school holidays, or when school is closed due to inclement weather. This year's schedule is as follows:
- Mondays @ Granite Falls Elementary School - beginner guitar classes are held immediately after school.
- Tuesdays @ Happy Valley K-8 School - beginner guitar classes are held immediately after school.
- Wednesdays @ The HUB Station Arts Center - beginner fiddle, guitar & mandolin classes start at 4pm.
- Wednesdays @ The HUB Station Arts Center - JAM Performance class starts at 5pm.
- Thursdays @ The HUB Station Arts Center - Intermediate fiddle, guitar & mandolin classes start at 5pm.
- Thursdays @ Collettsville K-8 School - beginner guitar classes held immediately after school.
JAM Students who need instruments may rent one from the Caldwell Arts Council for $15 for the entire school year. Also students who are enrolled in public school are charged tuition based on their school lunch arrangement with Caldwell County Schools. Payments can be made for the entire year or in two (2) installments. Fees are as follows:
- Students who do not receive discounted or free lunch are charged $10/class or $300/year payable in 2 installments of $150 each
- Reduced-lunch students are charged $5/class or $150/year payable in 2 installments of $75 each
- Free-lunch students are charged $3/class or $90/year, payable in 2 installments of $45 each
To register your child for the upcoming school year, click to complete your registration for school-year JAM. If you have questions, contact us by phone at 828-754-2486 or by email.