--October 6, 13, 20 (consecutive Saturday mornings, 10am-12noon) – Anne Welch will be teaching a series on Beginning Watercolor for Adults; all materials are provided for the first lesson; you’ll receive supplies list for other two lessons. $50/lesson, $140/all 3 lessons – must register/pay in advance (check, cash or credit card). Minimum 8 students, maximum 12 students. Call 828-754-2486 to register.
1) Introductions and a discussion of what each student hopes to learn in the workshop. In addition, we will talk about what background, if any, each of them has in art.
2) Distribution of: watercolor paper, the 3 primary colors plus burnt sienna, a couple of brushes, water container, No. 2 pencil and a white plate for use as a palette.
3) Tips on how to choose a subject and design an interesting composition and how to use color effectively. Each student will make a simple value scale.
4) Explore and practice the two primary methods of using watercolor...wet-in-wet vs. layering...and when to use them.
5) Students will draw and paint a simple subject, using a pattern provided by the instructor. There will be plenty of one-on-one instruction.
At the end of this session, students will receive a materials list for the next two classes, with suggestions on where they can be purchased.
1) A critique of the first day's painting.
2) Students will complete first painting if needed, and may begin a second one of their choice from their own reference photos, using the criteria learned on Day 1.
3) As they paint, there will be further information about color, esp. what to expect from the pigment itself and a comparison of various colors and how they react.
4) Individual help with paintings.
5) Critique and Q&A
1) An in-depth discussion of color, composition, brush techniques, subject matter, edges, materials, and special effects.
2) Students will complete second picture and begin a third one.
3) Critique of all finished paintings. This is optional, but a great learning tool.